|"People no longer believe in science. Popular opinion has shifted against objective truth and towards 'alternative facts'. But when a terrifying new plague is unleashed, ginkgo tree extract, healing crystals and snake oil can only do so much. Can the exiled experts save the world?"|
— Plague Inc., Science Denial introduction paragraph
Similar to Sovereign Default, research capabilities has been slashed to about half the usual amount, leaving only 158 flasks worldwide, as the world rejects science. This favors the player most of the time, as it takes much longer to develop a cure.
Catalytic Switch is rendered useless since there are no research planes, so no cure flask bubbles will appear.
To compensate for the reduced development capabilities, a “Super Science” utopia will spawn in a random country, granting that country the maximum Cure Effort potential, with 10 flasks. It will be revealed in a pop-up later in the game.
Additionally, when the cure is developed successfully for the first time in this scenario, it will fail to deploy. Furious anti-science protesters will destroy the cure, causing the progress to revert to zero and buying more time for the player to score a victory. In the case of Nano-Virus whose Kill Code Board-cast starts as soon as the game begins, it will be invalidated temporarily before the progress drops to zero, essentially forcing it to restart.
If the science utopia was destroyed by the plague or the protestors, humans will stop believe in quarantine and are willing to reopen their borders, if they've closed them before. This does not prevent them from being closed by the government thereafter, however.
These are some art concepts during the development of this scenario.
- NdemicCreations (August 1, 2021). A few early concepts for the Science Denial scenario. What do you think?. Twitter Retrieved on August 1, 2021.
|Scenarios in Plague Inc. and Plague Inc. Evolved|
|▪ Artificial Organs ▪ Black Death ▪ Created Equal ▪ Fake News ▪ Flight Club|
▪ Frozen Virus▪ Global Warming ▪ Golden Age ▪ Ice Age
▪ Mad Cow Disease ▪ Mirror Earth ▪ Nipah Virus ▪ Pirate Plague ▪ Santa's Little Helper
▪ Science Denial ▪ Shut Down Everything ▪ Smallpox ▪ Sovereign Default
▪ Swine Flu ▪ Teleportation ▪ Ultimate Board Games ▪ Unknown Origin ▪ Volcanic Ash
▪ Who Cares ▪ Where Is Everyone? ▪ Xenophobia ▪ Custom Scenarios