The Prion is the fifth plague available from Plague Inc. This plague possesses abilities that allow it to resist the Cure better.
The unique trait that Prion has in Plague Inc. is Neural Atrophy, which is like Genetic Hardening, slowing down cure research. Lethality from evolved traits will take longer to take effect, thus Prion will kill slower than other pathogens.
- Due to the cure resistance abilities, it is generally used to obtain the "Nuclear Retaliation" and "Plague in Space" achievements, the prion abilities can slow down the progress of the cure long enough for the achievement events to happen.
- Some of the code used in the Prion was reused for the Mad Cow Disease scenario.
- Devolving Neural Atrophy will cause the cure effort to speed up, if there is any.
- Real life prions do not contain any DNA or RNA and can thus not evolve in the way typical pathogens like bacterias and viruses do. They are, effectively, only malfunctioning proteins.
- Additionally, in real life, Prions cannot be cured, but to keep in balance with the game it is also vulnerable to the cure like the other diseases.
Stages of Evolution
Cure Mode Traits
- Diarrhoea: Pathogen active in digestive tract, causing infection through faeces and potentially lethal dehydration
- Coma: Neuropathic effects in the brain stem cause loss of consciousness and sometimes death
- Fever: Increase in temperature, contagiousness and severe dehydration, which can be fatal
- Terminal Disease: Very low chance to recover from the disease
- Insanity: Neuropathic action of the pathogen in the frontal cortex causes severe emotional and behavioural abnormalities
- Long Incubation: Very slow disease progression, takes a long time before recovery or death
- Sneezing: Fluid discharge through sneezing greatly increases infection rates
- "Stats of the Mad Cow Disease Scenario" - Game Files