Multiplayer is a mode, in which it allows players to compete with other players. In multiplayer, there are two modes available, the Versus Mode added in December 2015 and the Co-Op Mode added in February 2016.
The multiplayer mode adds special abilities, symptoms and transmissions, which will help players gain more infectivity, severity, lethality or resistance to the cure. It also adds particular genes that help the plague adapt better in certain environments.
VS. Mode is a game mode added in Evolution 15 of Plague Inc: Evolved.
In VS. mode, players struggle for dominance over each other to win. Gameplay has been heavily altered with a lot of changes, such as the ability to force cure research to begin immediately. The player's plague will be coloured red, and the opposing player will be coloured yellow. There are several outcomes of a match.
There are different genes on Multiplayer games, however they also create a disadvantage, as opposed to regular genes which only provide benefits. For example the Pharmaphile gene will improve infectivity in rich countries but slow infection in poor countries.
- When a player manages to infect everyone in the world. This includes the population that is also infected by the opposing player. Successfully infecting everyone will result the player with the most infects to win and give both players a message that the winning plague has absorbed the losing plague.
- When there is only one plague left. This can be achieved either by all host carriers of one plague to die off, or one of the player disconnects from the match once it begins. This will give the winning player a message the opposing player 'resigned'.
- When the other plague has been cured and fully eradicated.
- When a server connection error occurred.
- When both plagues have been eradicated at the same time.
The starting location mechanic differs slightly from the main game. In VS. Mode, the players' starting locations are hidden from each other, and provide bonus DNA as long as they remain undiscovered. If one player discovers the other's starting location (by having one person of the country infected with the other disease), this bonus is lost.
Plagues have been altered in the game to change gameplay strategies. The following is a set of changes for each plague. Currently, 5 plague types are added to the VS mode. Players begin with only the bacteria plague unlocked and unlock one random locked plague for every five VS. Mode match wins achieved.
- Bacteria: Bacteria loses its Bacterial Resilience ability.
- Virus: The virus retains its ability to mutate and evolve, and gains the ability to mutate and devolve. It's also capable of devolving the transmission and ability trait even without Base Hydration (13% probability).
- Fungus: Struggles in Arid Countries. Does have Spore Burst, but Unscheduled Flights will cost more.
- Parasite: Still has Symbiosis, but Severity can increase when opponent's own Severity increases.
- Bioweapon: Highly lethal, and doesn't have its special abilities. People who are infected with the opponent's disease are more likely to be killed by the bioweapon.
The cure mechanics have been altered to a greater extent than just simply severeness or lethality reaching a point. The following is an added rule on how the cure is altered.
- Players can alter how easily your opponent can be cured.
- Players can force a cure to start against your opponent.
- To win - you must infect everyone in the world!
- This mode is super weird as it flips the whole game upside down. You now need to do alot more to win. hence these tips are only useful in this one mode
- for starters You only need to be the first one to infect everyone, not kill them. Making endgame killer traits like necrosis and total organ failure for the most part.
- However there is one important caviat, using corpse transmission. in this stratagy you do want to have lethality, as necrosis gives corpse transmission, this can be quite effective as your opponent doesnt expect this, so they spread slowly while you spread fast. it is risky as cure will be heavy for you, even more so with the other player helping the cure against you.
- One issue you have to deal with is the cure, the cure will go fast, mainly because your opponent is making you easier to cure, so if you do want symptoms, going down the insomnia path is recomended as that path slows research speed
This mode is where your two plagues work together to wipe out humanity. If one of your plagues do, then you will both win.