Island countries are a type of country which have no bordering nations, and are in the ocean. As they are islands, they can usually only be infected via their seaports. Arguably more so than the cure itself, island countries provide a great challenge, since chances are small that ships will come to the ports of these countries. However, using the Neurax Worm's Trojan planes ability makes it easier to infect these countries.
List of Island Countries
The following is a list of island countries and information and general tips for infecting them. As a note, although all island countries have seaports, most do not have airports.
- Australia: Has an airport and a very busy seaport. Fairly easy to infect but won't spread as quickly, as it has a low population density and is a rich country.
- Caribbean: One of the hardest countries to infect if you start in China or India, although an infected Mexico or USA is the best way for an infected ship to arrive at its port.
- Greenland: Greenland is often viewed as the hardest country, island or not, to infect. But actually it isn’t - it’s the hardest island to infect only if you start in a hot country. Spreading a plague in Russia or Norway is required to infect it, along with Water 1 and 2 to increase the chances of getting on a boat.
- Iceland: Is best infected through its airports. Has seaports that aren't busy and only ships from Rich countries go to it. Ships sometimes go to Greenland from its ports on pc on Pirate Plague scenario.
- Indonesia: Although technically an island country, Indonesia can be infected via its land border with S.E Asia.
- Japan: Wealthy country. Has an extremely busy airport and is generally the easiest island country to infect. Plague spreads quickly even without Drug Resistance due to its extremely high density.
- Madagascar: One of the hardest countries to infect. Has only one seaport that isn't very busy. A somewhat difficult country to infect that can be made easier if Saudi Arabia or South Africa are infected.
- New Guinea: Like the Philippines, it can be difficult if plague hasn't developed in Asia or Oceania. Overall, it's a typical island country, based on its infection difficulty.
- New Zealand: One of the hardest countries to infect and spread if you start in China. Has an airport that isn't very busy. Few ships go to New Zealand's ports. The country can be troublesome if a country with busy airports isn't infected. Starting in Saudi Arabia and buying Air 1/2 is the easiest way to infect New Zealand.
- Philippines: Has a seaport that is visited quite usually by ships, and can be infected through several Asian countries. Can be a problem if said countries are uninfected. Particularly hard to infect in the Neurax Worm DLC because it's hard to drag a plane accurately to the small islands.
- UK: Technically an island country, although it shares the effect of having a land border with France (most likely because of the Channel Tunnel) so they are able to infect each other via land borders. One of the easiest to infect.