Before a player starts their game, they can insert Genetic Code. These genes allow personalization of pathogens by providing boosts to how one infects people, reacts to different environments, acquires DNA, and just the playstyle in general of your pathogen.
Every time a player wins a game with a standard plague, they unlock one of the 25 genes, regardless of the difficulty level. The same goes for victories in the Neurax Worm. However, the other special plagues normally unlock one of their special genes.
There are five different types of genes: DNA Genes, Travel Genes, Evolution Genes, Mutation Genes, and Environment Genes. Players can only have one of each type of gene per game, meaning that there are a large number of different genetic combinations that one can use for any disease (3,125 to be exact) . There are exclusive genes for Necroa Virus, Simian Flu, and Shadow Plague.
On Android, you must buy the premium version for $1.00 in order to use the genes that you unlocked.
Standard plague genesEdit
Get more DNA from popping orange DNA bubbles. This is extremely useful with Parasite, where orange bubbles become the primary way of getting DNA points. Similar to Metabolic Jump and Catalytic Swich, which are for biohazard bubbles and Cure bubbles respectively.
Get more DNA from popping red, biohazard bubbles. Similar to Cytochrome Surge and Catalytic Switch, which are for popping orange bubbles and Cure bubbles respectively.
Get bonus DNA from popping blue Cure bubbles Similar to Metabolic Jump and Cytochrome Surge, which are for gaining more DNA from popping yellow and biohazard bubbles.
This gene increases the chance of your plague mutating. The opposite of the gene Creationist. This can amplify the tendency of Virus to randomly mutate.
This gene decreases the chance of your plague mutating. The opposite of the gene Darwinist. This can inhibit the tendency of Virus to randomly mutate. It can be used to allow plagues to stay undercover for longer than usual. Viral Instability can be used to possibly override this Gene.
Your plague is harder to cure. Useful for Mega-Brutal campaigns, which involve very fast cures.
Your plague can mutate Abilities, but is easier to cure. Caution is advised when considering this gene for playing at higher difficulties.
This gene increases the chance of your plague spreading by land. This gene is useful for infecting areas with multiple countries in close proximity to one another, such as Asia.
Your plague is more likely to cross a closed land border. This is useful in bypassing situations where a plague would usually be locked out, such as shortly after discovery. This gene is particularly useful in scenarios such as Xenophobia and Shut Down Everything.
Note: Mega-Brutal infected population cost increase still applies to the "stasis" genes. Cost will still increase, just at a lesser extent than without the "stasis" genes.
This gene grants bonus DNA when devolving (+2 DNA Points for devolution). This gene is useful at lower difficulties because devolution of low-tier Symptoms, for example, frees up DNA Points that can be used to evolve higher-tier symptoms. In general, it reduces the total cost.
Costs to devolve don't increase. This is useful with Virus and/or high difficulty modes, because of high amounts of symptoms and high costs of symptoms respectively.
Symptom costs don't increase, but your plague will be easier to cure. Caution is advised when considering the use of this gene at higher difficulties. This is a very powerful gene for all standard plagues of which it is available, as costs can skyrocket to expensive heights.
Transmission costs don't increase, but your plague will be easier to cure. Caution is advised when considering the use of this plague at higher difficulties. Useful for Neurax Worm.
Ability costs don't increase, but your plague will be easier to cure. Caution is advised when considering the use of this gene at higher difficulties. Useful Fungus and Bio-Weapon, because each spore bursts can be bought with 1 DNA point and Unlock Annihilate gene and Gene Compression can be bought easily respectively.
Special plague genesEdit
(Exclusive to Necroa Virus, replacing Evolution)
This gene slightly decreases the speed at which zombies decay, allowing them to be dangerous for longer periods of time.
Active abilities cost less DNA to use. This allows the player to invest more DNA Points in improving the deadliness of their zombies if they wish to do so.
(Exclusive to Simian Flu, replacing Mutation)
Apes are less likely to be found by humans. This gene can be used to ensure the humans take a longer time to figure out that the Simian Flu is causing the apes to behave erratically.
Active abilities cost less DNA to use (1/2 cost). This gene allows the player to invest more DNA Points into either improving their apes or negatively impacting humans.
(Exclusive to Simian Flu, replacing Evolution)
This gene reduces research from Gen-Sys experiments on apes. This has the effect of reducing the effectiveness of the Cure effort.
(Exclusive to Shadow Plague, replacing DNA Genes)
(Exclusive to Shadow Plague, replacing Travel genes)
Vampire Blood Rage ability doesn't cost DNA
- This is means blood rage ability's costs will be disabled, making it similar to Budget Bat.
(Exclusive to Shadow Plague, replacing Environment genes)
Vampire starts Blood Rage automatically when entering a new country
- Doesn't work with Brawler.
Unlocking via Gameplay Edit
You can unlock genes by playing the game. Below are some ways people found which gene gets unlocked by which action, mostly tested on mobile (Android/iOS):
- Beating a Bacteria, Virus, Fungus, Parasite, Prion, Nano-Virus, Bio-Weapon, Neurax Worm level likely unlocks any random gene.
- Beating a Necroa Virus level likely unlocks a Necroa Gene
- Beating a Simian Flu level likely unlocks a Simian/Artificial Gene
- Beating a Shadow Plague level likely unlocks a Shadow/Flight/Blood Rage Gene
Multiplayer genes Edit
Here is a list of some genes on Multiplayer games. Some of the genes on Multiplayer are VS Mode exclusive. This list is less outdated than it was, but is still none-the-less incomplete.
- Hydrophobe: Gives your plague a bonus in arid climates, but a penalty in humid climates.
- Xerophobe: Gives your plague a bonus in humid climates, but a penalty in arid climates.
- Urbophobe: Gives your plague a bonus in rural environments, but a penalty in urban environments.
- Rurophobe: Gives your plague a bonus in urban environments, but a penalty in rural environments.
- Pharmaphile: Gives your plague a bonus in wealthy countries, but a penalty in poor countries.
- Pharmaphobe: Gives your plague a bonus in poor countries, but a penalty in wealthy countries.
- Frigophobe: Gives your plague a bonus in hot countries, but a penalty in cold countries.
- Thermophobe: Gives your plague a bonus in cold countries, but a penalty in hot countries.
- Benign infection: Your plague is harder to cure but you start with less DNA.
- Unstable inception: Get bonus DNA at the beginning, but your starting country will be selected randomly.
- VS mode Exclusive Safe house: Get more DNA from bubbles in your starting country, but your opponent gets bonus DNA when it is discovered.
- VS mode Exclusive Search and Destroy: Get a DNA bonus from finding your opponent's starting country. The bonus decreases the longer it takes.
- VS mode Exclusive Peekaboo: See which countries your enemy has infected but gain less DNA when discovering it.
- The Mutation Genes,(Base Oxidisation & Base Hydroylsis) Evolution Genes, (Sympto-Statis, Patho-Statis, & Trans-Statis) And Multiplayer genes have good and bad sides.
- Neurax Worm is the only plague that dosen't have it's own special genes.