- « There are around 300 fungi identified as pathogenic to humans. Typically 2-10 micrometers in length, they spread via fungal spores and can produce lethal mycotoxins. »
- — Fungus Description, in the Plague Inc.: The Board Game
The Fungus is an unlockable plague type in Plague Inc. and Plague Inc: Evolved. The fungus is the third plague in the Main Game, but in Cure Mode it is the fourth.
- Like the previous two plague types, the Fungus plague type has all the same Transmissions, Symptoms, and Standard Abilities, as well as the same possible Genes.
- The disease spreads through the spores it releases which are generally poor in traveling.
- One Unique ability, Spore Burst, allows it to infect a random, uninfected country.
- Another ability, Spore Hardening, allows spores to ignore a good portion of climates which makes the Fungus very infectious late in the game.
- Spore Eruption, a unique ability, allows multiple uninfected countries to be infected at once.
- Spore Burst (1) Releases a small amount of spores that will infect a random, uninfected country.
- Spore Eruption (2): Releases a huge amount of spores that will infect multiple, uninfected countries.
- Spore Hardening: Spores become more climate resilient and will continuously infect uninfected countries.
- Fairly easy to win on Casual and Normal difficulties.
- Can infect healthy hard-to-reach countries using its special abilities which is extremely useful in the following scenarios:
- Considerable bonus to effectiveness in humid countries.
- Cannot inherently infect other countries without carriers or Spore Burst/Eruption/Hardening abilities.
- Extremely slow transmission rate (1/10000th of a regular plague air/sea/land base rate).
- Relying too much on Disease spreading traits may not allow evolution of high tier symptoms. Using the gene Patho-Stasis can reduce this which makes it easier to evolve all the Spore Bursts without draining DNA Points. However, using Patho-Stasis increases the chance that you won't be able to get that much-needed lethality after you've infected almost everyone.
- This plague type is one of the longest and most frustrating plague types to beat due to how slowly it spreads even with the use of Spore Burst/Eruption/Hardening abilities.
- Considerable penalty to effectiveness in arid countries.
- This pathogen is arguably the most luck-based plague in the game, as the Spore Bursts infect countries in a 100% random manner. If you are unlucky, you may not infect island countries before the cure progress reaches 100%.
Stages of Evolution
|Standard Plague Types|
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.