DNA points allow to evolve different traits such as abilities, symptoms or transmissions. These are obtained by clicking on the red and orange bubbles. They can also be obtained automatically through high rates of infection or death, depending on the plague.
- You can sometimes gain points for devolving for some plague types, due to the cost to devolve being negative. However, the negative devolve cost will sometimes increase.
- The cost to devolve increases by 1 as you devolve more, unless you have the Translesion + gene activated.
- For each trait in Transmission, Symptoms or Abilities that has been evolved/devolved, the cost to evolve the other traits (or devolve) increases by 1. Mutation, however, does not increase the cost.
- The cost to evolve traits will increase over time in Mega Brutal, even if there are no traits evolved because Genetic drift impacts evolution, in which more infected people will increase the symptom cost. The gene Sympto-Stasis neutralizes this effect at the cost of being cured easier.
- If the Unlimited Strain cheat is enabled, you will have infinite DNA points.
- DNA income can be increased with certain genes as listed below, and some genes will either increase or decrease the DNA costs of Abilities, Symptoms or Transmissions.
- Prices for evolving can range from as little as 0 to as high as over 100 (Mega Brutal only).
The following genes will, if added to the Genetic Code, give extra DNA points in various ways. They must be "discovered" by playing the game before becoming available for use.
- ATP Boost - Get 8 bonus DNA at the beginning
- Cytochrome Surge - Get more DNA from popping orange, DNA bubbles
- Metabolic Jump - Get more DNA from popping red, biohazard bubbles
- Catalytic Switch - Get bonus DNA from popping blue, cure bubbles
- Metabolic Hijack - Orange and red bubbles are automatically popped
- Ionised Helix - Bonus DNA when devolving
- Latent Catalyst - Get DNA when a Gen-Sys lab is destroyed (exclusive to Simian Flu)
- ATP Overdose - Bonus DNA at start but costs significantly more to devolve (exclusive to Simian Flu)
- Together Strong - Increases DNA from colonies (exclusive to Simian Flu)
DNA cost-modifying genes
These genes modify the DNA cost of most abilities in different ways. They must, again, be "discovered" before they can be used.
- Translesion + - Costs to devolve don't increase
- Sympto-Stasis - Symptom costs don't increase but easier to cure
- Trans-Stasis - Transmission costs don't increase but easier to cure
- Patho-Stasis - Ability costs don't increase but easier to cure
- Spliced Activation - Active abilities cost less DNA to use (exclusive to Necroa Virus)
- Ion Deficit - Costs more to devolve but harder to cure (exclusive to Simian Flu)
- Ion Surge - Costs less to devolve but easier to cure (exclusive to Simian Flu)